When life gives you lemons

When life gives you lemons, you're supposed to make lemonade, right? Except what do you make if you're not sure what lemonade is anymore? In Australia, if you order a lemonade you get lemon-flavored fizzy water. Having already learned this the hard way, last weekend we got a craving for some lemonade and so I went to the store to see if I could figure out how to fullfill it. It was a stressful adventure. First I started in the juice aisle, trying to spot something similar. I found their version of lemonade (which is white by the way) and something called cordial, but nothing quite right. Then I went in the frozen aisle to see if they had frozen lemonade. Apparently they do not make juice from frozen concentrate here, as there was no juice section there. At this point I considered making real lemonade from scratch, but I didn't want to buy a new juicer. I went back to the juice aisle and looked again, then figured I should check out the cordial bottle to see what it was. They had it in several different flavors and the instructions just said add water, so I figured it was probably as close as I was going to get. We tried it and it was pretty similar to crystal light. I guess eventually I'll need to invest in a juicer.

I find it funny how stressful it is going grocery shopping now. I know what I want, where it should be, what it's called, what it should cost, and what it tastes like, except none of those things seems to matter over here. There is no such thing as a quick trip to the store anymore. The good part is there are lots of new foods and flavors to try, and it's fun to experiment with that. It's just frustrating having to relearn what should be the simplest things. And then you get to the check out counter and they ask you if you're from Canada. Again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baw Baw Blog

One Sleep Until Citizenship!

Sneans